Saturday, March 11, 2023

‘We snaked between mountains and the Mediterranean’: readers’ favourite European train journeys

Our tipsters recall the gorgeous scenery and off-the-beaten-track towns on rail journeys from the Arctic Circle to the Peloponnese. Scroll down to see the winning tip and enter the competition to win a Coolstays break I recently took the sleeper train between Amsterdam and Vienna. On the way, I had a compartment to myself until the early hours when I was woken by a couple with a 10-month-old baby, who wanted to know if I would rooms so they could have their own compartment. The guard said this wasn’t possible but I did volunteer the top bunk so that the dad could easily exit the room and look after the baby. The rest of the journey involved him going out in the corridor to walk around with the child. That’s the fun of sleeper trains – you don’t know who you’ll meet! I shared with a research engineer on the way back. Oh, and Vienna was amazing too. Mark Continue reading...